Faculty OER Presentation
CIT is happy to be working with five new faculty who are eliminating their textbooks for the spring semester and adopting open educational resources (OER). On October 3rd, they presented their courses and shared the exciting work they’ve been doing at the Textbook Task Force Meeting. This particular group of faculty will be saving their students a projected $40,000 during the spring semester – amazing!
- Isabelle Gagne – Intro to Psychology
- Lori Heymans – Intro to Information Technology
- Scott Joubert – Incarceration and Alternatives
- Mike Pelletier – Engineering Essentials and Design (all sections adopting)
- Ken Thomas – Intro to Biology
CIT celebrated the great work that our online faculty have been doing at a luncheon last month. The faculty that completed the iTeach program over the summer received certificates and showcased their courses. They highlighted ways in which they’ve applied the concepts taught in the iTeach course, including using multimedia, wikis, discussion boards, or other ways in which they’ve maximized student learning and engagement. It was a nice opportunity to get together with our colleagues to share experiences and see the work that’s being done!
Our labs are located at both the Haverhill and Lawrence campuses and are generally open Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM.
- Haverhill – Spurk Building, Room C204
- Lawrence – 420 Common Street, Room LH308
The best way to reach us is by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To all Blackboard Course Owners: Scheduled Course Cleanup
All Spring and Summer 2013 courses in Blackboard will be permanently removed from the system on October 29th, 2014. From Control Panel/Packages and Utilities in your Blackboard course, please export/archive the courses to an external storage device prior to this cleanup. If you need to access these courses in the future, you may upload the zip package into a course shell in Blackboard (see below to learn about the different zip packages). Do not open the packages outside of Blackboard as they only work within the Blackboard system.
You may export and/or archive a course. Here is information on Export/Archive from Blackboard:
- * Export Course creates a package of course content that can later be imported into the same course or a different course.
- * Archive Course creates a permanent record of a course including all the content and user interactions available at the time the Archive is created.
After downloading the zip package(s) created by the export or archive process, please delete them from each course. If you need assistance, please contact email@example.com.
Please remember that courses will be removed from the system after one year. To keep a consistent schedule, course cleanups will take place the last Wednesday on the following months:
- May for previous spring semester
- August for previous summer sessions
- December for previous fall session
NECC is a Member of WCET
WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET) accelerates the adoption of effective practices and policies, advancing excellence in technology-enhanced teaching and learning in higher education. With WCET, learn about good practices and sound policies that accelerate the effective adoption and use of technologies in teaching and learning. While WCET explores all elearning issues, the current focus areas are current issues around Emerging Technologies, Student Success, Policy and Regulations and Managing eLearning. http://wcet.wiche.edu/
Community of Online Teachers:
- Wednesday, October 22, 2014 from Noon – 1pm (Haverhill C208, Lawrence CIT LH 308 via Google Hangouts)
- Wednesday, December 3, 2014 from Noon – 1pm (Haverhill C208, Lawrence CIT LH 308 via Google Hangouts)
Would you like to create exciting, interactive lessons? We invite you to learn more about SoftChalk! During this workshop, you will create an lesson to get your students engaged with your content.
- Friday, October, 24, 2014 from 1-2pm (CIT Haverhill C204)
- Monday, October, 27, 2014 from Noon-1pm (CIT Lawrence LH308)
Tips & Resources
- Learn more about Open Education Resources